Monday, June 05, 2006

"Those who are the hardest to love are the ones who need it most"

I came across this quote a few weeks ago and it immediately made me think of my Mom. I haven't spoken to her in about a year and half. So I've been staring at it every time I look at my "Drafts" folder when I come over to blog to post something or another. Thinking about what it means and how I feel about it.

There are times when I'm immensely happy that I don't have contact with her and there are times when I regret it more than just about anything.

My mom and I have had a complicated relationship, as most relationships are, I imagine. Most families are "dysfunctional" in one way or another...

It comes down to a conflict of, really, two ideas that I can't really find a way to harmonize.

The first, and the reason I'm at where I am now with it, is the idea that you really need to cut yourself off from those people who are negative and toxic influences in your life.

People who are overwhelmingly negative, cynical, judgmental, hurtful and mean spirited... there is just no reason to keep trying to fit those people in your life. I mean, eventually, and this is how I felt, that constant negative and hurtful harping and picking just eats away at your soul. You end up feeling small and worthless. And there's no reason to force yourself to keep undergoing that and feeling that way.

The most common refrain is, "But, you know, it's family... you have to put up with it."

But you don't.

There are consequences, sure. But the ties of blood can be looked at as chance, fate and happenstance... and there's no reason to put yourself in a position where someone will continue to make the effort to belittle you and make you feel bad about yourself.

And make no mistake, my mom can be an amazingly hurtful and negative person. Both of my brothers and I have had periods of estrangement from her... this is my second, actually... where there's no communication with her. And one of the reasons I haven't made overtures to reconcile, like I have in the past and both my brothers did, is that I'd swear she sees the overtures as a sort of validation that her behavior was okay. It seems as if she saves her anger and hurtfulness for family. You always hurt the ones you love? Maybe.

But at the same time I know, I mean I absolutely know, that a lot of her issues, for lack of a better word, comes from a place of insecurity... and the second idea, which I can't resolve with the first, is the headline of the post - the idea that the people who are the hardest to love need it most. That seems true. I know my mom does need it.

And then I feel small and guilty and tiny minded that I'm not able to be a good enough person to be the kind of person who can do that.

I don't not love her, if that makes any sense. I do love her. I wish nothing but good things for her. But I just can't take being around her on anything like a regular basis. And I can't stand the idea that for those times that I was around her, or would need to be around her, that I'd need to mentally prepare myself for however long I'd be there that it would be emotionally strenuous and painful.

I've tried dealing with her with a lighter touch, orienting myself to her more positive aspects, laughing off her comments and insinuations, but I've never been able to keep it up. That's probably my failing, but at the same time, my god, why on earth should I have to be on guard to constantly do that?

I truly love and appreciate the things she's done for me, in raising me and all the sacrifices that parenthood demands and entails.

I just don't think that should give somebody a blank check to act in a mean spirited way.

I do love her. But right now it just has to be from a distance.

11 comments:

  1. I was searching for this quote and I came across your blog. Your description of your mother is exactly how I feel about my recent ex girlfriend. Shes always negative, and always using her mild case of depression as a scapegoat for her attitude and behavior. I am the exact opposite, and I always try to be positive and humorous. Its difficult because I love her, but I can't take the daily degrading of my self any longer... Consistant with your method, I am hoping that I give her the space she needs to take care of herself, then maybe we can restore a relationship someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same... Watch your mind... Are you truly loving her and respecting her, or inside your mind are you just doing it because your her son and you feel like you have too... Thoughts have presence... Your kicking your mom out of your life, who is kicking you out of there life? Hurt and pain is deep... People respond to true feelings and true passion... This post is all to common and everybody does the same thing...

    Love like Jesus', rolls up its sleeves, takes off its robes and serves people. It is intimate and passionate. It is sacrificial and humble. Its about the other. It knows how to be loved and accepts love...

    My main problem in my relationships, I struggle with accepting love because many times I'm always on guard waiting to protect myself from negativity, when I should be spreading positivity and love...

    This is just how my mind sees it and my heart feels... GB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually i have just finished watching the movie peaceful warrior and came across this quote "those who are the hardest to love are the ones who need it most" and just like u, i immediately think of my mum. I'm quite shock to know that there is another person in this world tat are going through the similar situation that wat my brothers and i are going through. i understand what you are going through because im also going through the exact situation that you mention. My mum is exactly similar to what u have described. I have 2 elder brothers and my second brother has moved out of house. I think he is so frustrated that he cant take it anymore and the fact the our mum will never ever change. At times, i really dunno what to do. I'm sad, down and dont understand why i cant have a cheerful, positive and caring mum. Sometimes, it is very contradicting , the better u treat her, she will become more n more demanding and more hurting. My bros and i have come to a conclusion that she cant change her attitude and she thinks her attitude is ok. We just could be more tolerating and be more positive. i think i will get socrates teachings and books to read to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The relationship between parent and child are difficult to explain and also to sometimes live with. I am the mother of a daughter like the mother you speak of. I have loved her and raised her to be all that she can be. She is married with two beautiful children and a wonderful career. But for some reason we just can't get it together with each other.
    I struggle so with this. She also has relationship problems with her siblings and blames me. She has walked away from wonderful friends. See I am explaining her again.
    It is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I used to feel the same way about my father. He was very abusive to me growing up and when I became an adult, like you, I felt as though it was too unhealthy for me to have a relationship with him. I also felt, since he never made any attempt to reconcile, that he simply did not care so why should I make the effort? Well, as I write this, it is coming upon the two year anniversary of his suicide and although I understand why I stayed away from him, part of me will always wish I had kept in contact, as I had gone for over 10 years without speaking to him before he passed. I know that everything happens for a reason and I have found some comfort in that. But the truth is, that he always regretted our estrangement and wanted to reconcile, he just felt too ashamed and was afraid of being rejected. Also being an Asian man, the risk of possible loss of face was just too overwhelming. I am not telling you that you should contact your parent as I don't know the whole story. But for me, I wish I had, and now I'll never get another chance. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This could be me writing about my father, my family supporting him, turning a blind eye... And my grandma calling on my birthday last Friday... It was toxicly painful again... They will never learn is my understanding, BUT... Lacking love in my life to heal from the emotional wounds they have inflicted upon me... I start to get more bitter and frustrated every day. They seem to think nothing happened, my dad lives on happily with his wicked witch and I suffer from my stress induced illnesses... Letting go is the hardest job in the world and learning how to do it seems near right impossible...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob,
    I was searching for this quote and though I'm always too busy to read blogs, I wanted to read what you have to say about it, and this would be the first time I'm posting a commenting on a blog.

    In my situation, this would be my father, and I can say that he has caused more damage than anyone could imagine, at some point I hated him more than I can tell, but now I can confidently say that I hated him because I loved him.
    We expect many things from the ones we love, and expectations vary depending on their roles in our lives, He was my role model but everything he did contradicted everything I've learnt, lived by or wanted to be, we had many fights though I was raised in country where raising your voice on yor parents is like committing a second degree murder, and though he was a dictatorial person and could beat me up like a burger and no one could blame, he didn't, which I didn't care about at the time, but I now I know that with such personality nothing could stop him from beating me up except his love for me.

    It took me years to realize how much I love him, and how much he loves me too but he just can't show it the way I want him to.
    If I put all his mistakes and personal life aside and try to remember our little moments together through my childhood and everything he's done for me I'd shed a tear and wish I could hug him and tell him how much I love him.
    I'm now a father, though my son is only three years old I can only imagine the love and sacrifice required for the journey of raising him up to be a man, I won't be a perfect father and I'm sure he'll hate me as much through many stages of his life as everyone does but now I know that it'll shatter my heart if he didn't love me or make me feel he doesn't.
    He would judge me by his measures and I'd probably judge him by my measures, but if we put judgement away and think of only the good times we shared, it would be a lifetime of memories, pain, joy and laughs that no director could put into a movie.

    Have you ever though of the reason behind your her attitude? are you aware of her childhood at all? she could have had a very bad childhood, or parent, childhood or people that destoryed parts that were never mended, just like she has caused irrevocable damage to some extent, but I assure you, that she loves you all to every bit, and it breaks my heart already to feel the loneliness and sadness she'd be living in alone, at this age, with all the horrible thoughts and self judgement that could come in such times.

    Of course I can't tell about your mother and how she acts or reacts and it seems she can never express her love but she now needs it just like when you needed it when you were born.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! thank u for this. My thoughts exactly. Nobody could have said it any better.

    I wish i could tell it to her face that i don't need to subject me and my kids to her hurtful words. I wish I could tell it to her face that my silence doesn't mean i'm accepting she is right.

    My mother is a saint to other people, always ready to help...money, food, time, effort. And yet, she would frequently shoo my kids away if they asked for so much as a soda cracker.

    Right now, no one, not one of u here can imagine the anger i feel for her! Everytime she yell at my kids (aged 4 and 7), I wish I could shove her down the stairs and get away with it.

    I am not evil.

    She is sooo mean! No, that's an understatement.

    I wish i could tell it to her face that she's not worth my love.

    She's not getting any younger. And soon, she would not be able to get herself a glass of water. I hope those people she helped would return the favor. Coz I ain't gonna do it. Not in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like I am not the one who feels this way. I haven't seen or spoken to my mother in over 3 years. Do I miss her? Sure. As a matter of fact, I miss her very much but I too just can't have her in my life right now because I want to love her. At some point, I think I don't care anymore but that's never for sure. I'm still a little fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bleeding hearts, yes all of us. The real injustice is that when we hate, we suffer twice. First, we suffer the lack of love or cruelty against us; then we suffer again for holding on to our unforgiving hearts.. the price of being right. Forgiveness is not for the offender. Love your neighbour as your self. Do you love yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that since 2006 when you wrote that this that you have matured and evolved enough to understand that this is a shitty world that often wounds the pure human spirit we are born with.Your mother did the best she could with what she had to work with mentally and spiritually and obviously fell short to make you not want to even speak to her for long periods of time.Your Mother gave you life and sustained you long enough to get out on your own which we often take for granted.I raised 2 girls of my own and 7 foster children.Being a parent is hard I am very lucky that all of my children are good people and have the capacity to forgive me for all my mistakes and character flaws because I am so blessed to have been a mother to very amazing and special human beings who love me unconditionally. If you haven't yet...call your Mom

    ReplyDelete