Monday, June 05, 2006

Cleaning out my email... "The question of 'why'"

Trying to clean out my email boxes, but came across some things I've written to folks that I'd like to remind myself of from time to time... and, well, that's what this blog is for, to remind me of things I need to think about. Sometimes, anyways...

So:

I've spent a looooong time, sometimes I think too long, pondering the whys, wherefores and meanings of life, the universe and everything. I'm certainly not one to deride anyone's quest for the meaning of anything, but I've slowly come to my own conclusions about that kind of thing, at least my psuedo-conclusions for now, everything being time-dependent... To make a long story short, and probably nonsensical as well, certainty about anything, any question of why, can only be answered within very limited and defined game systems - like math, for example. Any other derivation of truth, certainty, why, or whatfor, runs not only through every individuals subjective, cultural and linguistic bias, but their own neurogenetics, imprinting and conditioning.

I, less and less, ask why, because I don't think most "whys" can be answered with any kind of objective context. Instead I try to ask how can my perception of whatever-it-is be useful to me. I'm agnostic, or at least try to be, not only in the religious sense, but about most things.

I think the book probably works through a combination of things, like a lot of divinatory systems - from tarot to Freudian psychology... suggestion, perceptual analyses, projection, wishful thinking, generalization. Also, for lack of a better word, magic. But that probably doesn't quite mean what you think it means...

No comments:

Post a Comment