Sunday, March 09, 2008

I'm not a teacher, but I play one in Japan - Part 2, Junior High School.

Been meaning to do something like this for a bit now, and the video from the Elementary school class a couple weeks ago reminded me... but since my old camera crashed, I've been waiting to get a new one and get back up to speed. Plus I needed to wait until I rotated through to teaching the 3rd graders again. So, finally, all the stars aligned and everything worked out and I got a chance to video the start of a typical Jr High School class. Runs just a little longer than normal, since I ran through two versions of the warm up activity/game.

This group of kids in the vid are probably some of the absolute best I've taught. Just an amazingly well rounded, smart, participatory, genki [enthusiastic] group. I can't ever remember having a bad class with this group.


Honestly though, the entire 3rd grade class this year has been awesome. It's been really a fascinating experience. They are, as a class, and as a group, just an outstanding group of kids. Great attitudes, personable, polite... even the kids who don't like to study and goof off in class do so in an almost endearing way.

When I first came to Japan, they were all halfway through their 1st grade year [the school year runs April to March.] Just little kids, really.

And now, almost three years later they're all grown up and getting ready to graduate this week. They've changed from children to young adults, and it's been extremely cool to see.

I've really grown a lot more attached to, and fond of, them than I ever really expected to when I started the JET Programme.

I present to you the graduating class of 2008. I am really gonna miss them.



No comments:

Post a Comment