Sunday, August 16, 2009

Summer Vacation.

3 weeks stateside, first time in 3 years. Good time.

But given the sheer volume of pics I took, plus all the pics I promised folks via various delivery methods - printing/email/Facebook/etc AND given that I've spent just about all wkend on my ass reading and catching up online... the prospect of blogging a torrent of photos and reminisces is... daunting. But I came across a compromise... the collage! Thank you Picasa.

Onwards.

So the real reason I was heading back was this:
From 2009-07-26

Everything else was extra. Nice, but not the point.

The flight over - 28 hours or so on Korean Air... including a brutal 10 hour layover at the airport in Korea. Still, it was the cheapest ticket. Seats on KAL weren't the most comfortable in the world, but the choose your own movie/entertainment/games was pretty awesome. Going and coming I watched something like 7 or 8 movies. On the way over I was seated next to the two adorable Korean munchkins in the photo. Extremely cute and they wanted to practice their English and assorted play activities. Though I'll admit to cursing both them and their tiny, tiny bladders from about hour 8 or so. Still, cool kids.
From 2009-07-26

Sandy's roommate works for the OMB and scored us a "special people only" tour of the White House. Couldn't go into the Oval Office but could look in from the door. Kinda cool. Thing I found most... um, interesting?... was that you could see the pics Obama had up of his family, his kids and stuff. Just like any other schlub working in an office that's not gonna be his after a while.

Also got to see the Press Briefing Room, which was tiny compared to how it appears on the idiot box.
From 2009-07-26

My new buddy in VA, Max.
From 2009-08-09

Hadn't driven in 3 years, and my license had expired while I had been in Japan. Had to retake the written, visual and road test. Which I hadn't had to do in 20 years. Crazy.
From 2009-08-09

Visiting family...
From 2009-08-09

From 2009-08-09

...and old friends.
From 2009-08-09

Women folk, barefoot and cooking, as nature intended - :) HA!
From 2009-08-09

How to gain 10lbs in 3 weeks. You know, I haven't really missed anything living in Japan, but in the US you can't help but be struck by the sheer variety of stuff available. Vacation=Indulgence.
From 2009-08-13

Last night in country. My wife loves the SKIP-BO.
From 2009-08-13

No comments:

Post a Comment