Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Kind of where I've ended up as well.

I was an ethical vegetarian for a few years, and have run the gamut of pesco/lacto/ovo/etc as well, but ultimately it seems to me, right now, that this makes the most sense. The vegetarianism as religion angle is thought provoking as well, and explains a bit of that resonance I had with it, what with my Catholic upbringing and all.

Vegetarian and Vegan Tear Jerkers | Free The Animal:
"...about vegetarian or vegan “health.” The most valid data on that score is that comparing apples to apples, i.e., the anthropological record: that repeatedly and consistently demonstrates strong and robust skeletons and teeth amongst hunter-gatherers, in stark contrast to those diseased skeletons, rotten teeth, and even diminished stature of agricultural populations. This is not in dispute; and furthermore, there has never existed a vegetarian hunter-gatherer population, much less vegan.

Now, while I’m all for humane treatment of animals right up to the moment of death (and willing to pay for it), this video was not particularly shocking. I’ve hunted birds & deer and dressed both, fished, and raised broiler chickens and rabbits. I was the one (at age 13 -15 or so) who did the executions — axe for the chicks, club for the rabbits.

We endeavored to treat them very well during their lives, and to make their end of life very quick (as well as out of sight for those in wait). I have always abhorred animal trophies of all kinds. We were brought up to respect animals and that the only justification for killing them was for the food.

The problem with you folks is that it’s all emotion and feelings with you. You are simply not dealing properly with the reality of human existence and the requirements for survival and happy flourishing.

In the end, y’all remind me of the born-again Christian fundamentalists I grew up around. It’s always about denial, penance, guilt — and over man’s very nature (’original sin’). Vegetarianism offers the very same unearned guilt trap..."

No comments:

Post a Comment