Friday, January 04, 2008

China - Day 5.


So, between days 4 and 5, Sandy experienced what we'll call... gastric discomfort. And since it hit me the next night, figure we both caught a mild case of food poisoning from something or another. So day 5 was a bit of a struggle for the lass, and on day 6 I pretty much was... well, not a ray of sunshine.

So we started off the day at the Shanghai Museum.



It was... museum-y.

Sculptures, paintings, calligraphy... all the traditional museum accoutrements.

Though I can't, for the life of me figure out why the Heavenly Guardian has to stand on that baby's head. We'll chalk it up to cultural differences. The baby was probably asking for it.






Then on to Nanjing Road, Shanghai's main shopping street and supposedly one of the busiest shopping areas in the world.

Sandy, above, with our Shanghai tour guide.

This one's for you, JM - The Superman Store.

You have to go to Shanghai now.


Yuyuan Garden, supposedly one of China's four finest gardens.

Probably much nicer in Spring.

And when it isn't raining.

Still, some cool stuff.








After the park we went to a tea shop, above, where they prepared us a variety of Chinese teas. Which was pretty cool.

On the right is the road where Sandy engaged in some right proper Chinese haggling.

From 185 yuan down to 40 yuan. Full of win, my wife.


Above is a shopping area called [I think] Shintechi. All decked out in European cafe style. Including the architecture, which was cool.


On the right, I'm contributing to the increased homogenization of world culture.

I don't care, I needed caffeine and it tasted good.


Sandy, gangsta eatin'. On the Down Low.


Hands down my favorite thing in China was the Shanghai Circus.


Acrobats, Musclemen, Motorcyle Riders, Jugglers, Magicians... just awesomeness.


We weren't allowed to take photos, so... umm... these are the photos I wasn't supposed to take... low light, no flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment