Friday, January 04, 2008

China - Day 1.


Off to China on the 6 day, 3 city whirlwind.

The prelude of packing. I don't know when or how I actually became a disciple of Rick Steves, but his podcasts and travel philosophy totally work for me. Minimal packing... carry on luggage only.

I got six days worth of stuff in my Rick Steves Veloce [Messenger] Bag, my Rick Steves toiletry bag and in my Rick Steves Travel Neck Wallet.

Day 1, flying into Beijing, eating of the famous dish Peking Duck, and checking in to the hotel.

Check out those happy, enthusiastic tourist faces.



Chinese airline food was pretty good.

First surprise of the trip... we had signed up for a package tour, so that all the logistical nonsense of tripping about a country you don't speak the lingo is taken care of... so I expected to be one of those touristy types with another half dozen foreigners following around the guide with a flag.

Nope.

No other tourists, just Sandy and me.

Our own private tour guide, our own personal car.

In all three cities yet.

Pretty cool.

[Well, we had a van in Shanghai... but still, it was just us.]

So, anyways, this is our tour guide in Beijing - Jia'a Den. [No idea on the spelling there, sorry.]






Peking Duck was awesome.

Probably my favorite meal all week, not that the rest weren't good.




The hotel was... ummm... good enough.

For showering up and resting up, anyways.

Not the greatest I've ever stayed in... not the worst though. Though it was probably the worst I've stayed in in some time...

Come to find out that the Chinese definition of "3 Star Hotel" is highly variable from place to place.


Night time in Beijing from our hotel window.

Remember, Mao is Watching.

Mao is always watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment