Wednesday, May 31, 2006

What you believe is... is. Rinse. Repeat.

Amazon.com: Profile for Marc Allen:
"A radio interviewer emailed me before our interview and said: 'I don't believe you. I believe in the work ethic. It takes hard work to succeed.'

He's expressing a widely held belief throughout our culture (especially in America -- they take things easier in Europe): You've got to work really, really hard to succeed. But here's the fascinating thing I've learned about our beliefs: They are not necessarily true in themselves, but they become true in our experience if we believe them.

If, like the radio interviewer, you believe it takes hard work to succeed, then that's true for you. .
But I had a problem with that belief, because I'm basically lazy. I was an actor and a musician through most of my twenties, and I never really got acclimated to the idea that a forty-hour work week was a good and necessary thing. In fact, when I'm really honest with myself, I think a forty-hour work week is inhumane. Thirty hours is okay, I've found, but after that I want to go and do something else, like relax, goof off, or be creative.

...Trust your intuition and follow your energy. Work when you feel like it, and take a break when you don't. The important work will get done."

No comments:

Post a Comment