Wednesday, May 31, 2006

"I like to experiment with clarity" - Woody Harrelson

Interview excerpts with Woody Harrelson fromt the now defunct [I think] Breathe magazine:

On the media:
I think because much of the media in the US - which frequently gets described as liberal - is actually extremely right wing. For example, a lot of us spoke out about the war. And even though we were right, and there were no WMDs, we faced a great deal of criticism from the press. Unfortunately a lot of people are only listening to the mainstream media, and they're not searching out the news that some may not see fit to print. I find that a confusing motto: All the news that's fit to print. Well, what about the news they don't see fit to print.

Success:
I realized I was working nonstop, and towards what? It was like I was trying to make a life that I was going to live somewhere down the line.

...Most people feel like success is about how much money you make, how nice your car is, how big your house is. My version coincided with that. But now I look at success as my level of happiness.


Health:
I think there are seven key elements to health: exercise, yoga, meditation, a good diet, doing something creative every day, having a strong relationship and [good] sleep.

Politics and change:
I could easily expend a lot of energy being angry at GWB for what he's done to this country and to others. But I'm not sure how much that helps me or anyone around me. And ultimately destruction leads to rebirth, and we do need to make some very fundamental, core changes.

If we really understood the amount of violence and cruelty that we inflict on animals, or the result of being so whimsical about picking up a piece of paper and throwing it away... you know, if we could see the effects of mining, would we be so attracted to diamonds? That's what I mean by fundamental change: a real sensitivity to the effect of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment