Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The message should be... [obviously]

WorkingForChange-BuzzFlash interview: Paul Waldman:
"In that Tom Paine article, I talk about something that happened recently when Mark Warner was giving a speech at Harvard. In the Q and A afterwards, somebody asked, “Why are you a Democrat?” According to the news report, he didn’t give a coherent answer. He rambled on for about five minutes and even said at one point, we’re not going to come up with three or four magic phrases that will define us. When I see a Democrat who can’t answer in one sentence the question “Why are you a Democrat?” – I think it’s appalling. If you ask any Republican that question, they’re going to say I’m a Republican because I believe in small government, low taxes, strong defense, and traditional values.

My hope is that the next time somebody asks a Democrat, “Why are you a Democrat?” they would say, "I’m a Democrat because I believe we’re all in it together. I’m not a Republican or a conservative because they think we’re all on our own, and we’re in it for ourselves." This is what progressives really have been missing.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment