Friday, May 29, 2009

Training 339-40... let's call it halfway to acceptable, shall we?

339 - inclement weather NEPA - 30m light shadowboxing/movement
340 - DB DL, Atlas Pushups, Lat pulldowns, Hand walkouts - NEPA 30m shadowboxing

So, onwards to the embarrassing stats and #'s...

Worth noting as both yesterday and today [2x just to make sure it's not a fluke] I weighed in at 92kg, which is only meriting a mention in that it's the lightest I've been in while I've lived in Japan, and that means for about the last 4 years or so. Honestly, it's probably closer to 5-5 1/2 years, as I was in pretty piss poor shape when I was in DC as well.

Previously, on two occasions in Japan, I'd only managed to get down to 93kg. The first time was probably about a year or so after I first got back to Japan, fall '06 or so, after about 9-10 months of hitting the dojo upwards of 2x a week. Of course, injuries from training at the dojo [neck/hip] in about January of the following year were what sent me into a downwards spiral of lethargy, laziness and junk food, until, a little over a year later, I had ballooned up to an all time worst - a depressingly obese, soul crushing and disgusting 103kg in the spring of '08.

So by the beginning of April last year I'd finally had enough and started to kick myself in the ass again. Training and trying to get my shit together.

...then fast forward to about the beginning of February of this year, and at the end of month 2 of the P90X program - that I burned out/punked out on - I had hit 93kg again. Burnout, then the Mrs leaving for the states and the associated psychological trauma :) then a series of beginning of year enkais and parties ended up pushing me back up to 97kg about a month ago. So that was a bit of a backslide.

[Which hasn't been my only one. Between backsliding, vacations and other nonsense - and if you do the math - working out since last April works out to about 390 days, but I'm only on training day 340... which ends up being, what? About 2 months of wasted time since I started? Not good enough...]

But then, 4 weeks ago I started to get back on track... and I'm down to 5kg and a new low. So, you know... good.

So why "halfway to acceptable?" Because, well, it is. As much as I know it's less what the scale says as what your body comp is [body fat %, lean mass, etc] - at this stage of the game the scale is a good general gauge.

So now 82kg is the new goal. Which puts me 10kg away. Which now seems entirely doable, since 92kg is 11kg down from my worst condition. 82kg is a decent # in that it's about what I was walking around at when I was in shape and in the military. [Weird, now that I think about it, that's still a bit heavier than I was in college... I'm pretty sure I boxed a couple times at 76kg... maybe it was 78kg? My memory is crap.]

I've got another 3 weeks on my current regimen... and then 4 weeks before I head back to the US for 3 weeks... so I'm already thinking what program to do and about how I'm gonna structure both that 4 weeks and "vacation." And what I'm gonna hit when I get back from that. [I'm thinking that'll be another run at P90X maybe... this time, you know, without quitting like a little bitch.]

So yeah, let's say a solid 82kg by Jan 2010. Let's go.

No comments:

Post a Comment