Monday, March 26, 2007

Courtney Love, perhaps surprisingly, kicks all sorts of ass.


I don't even really dig her music, but she lays the lucid and compelling smackdown for something like 6 pages describing how record distributors [labels] completely screw over musicians, and how to NOT FEAR THE FUTURE! [goddamit.] Great essay showing the scummy side of the record industry. But my favorite bit was this, even though it's not really in keeping with the overarching theme of the article...

Courtney Love does the math - Salon:
"When I agreed to allow a large cola company to promote a live show, I couldn't have been more miserable. They screwed up every single thing imaginable. The venue was empty but sold out. There were thousands of people outside who wanted to be there, trying to get tickets. And there were the empty seats the company had purchased for a lump sum and failed to market because they were clueless about music.

...On top of all this, I felt embarrassed to be an advertising agent for a product that I'd never let my daughter use. Plus they were a condescending bunch of little guys. They treated me like I was an ungrateful little bitch who should be groveling for the experience to play for their damn soda.

I ended up playing without my shirt on and ordering a six-pack of the rival cola onstage. Also lots of unwholesome cursing and nudity occurred. This way I knew that no matter how tempting the cash was, they'd never do business with me again.


If you want some little obedient slave content provider, then fine. But I think most musicians don't want to be responsible for your clean-cut, wholesome, all-American, sugar corrosive cancer-causing, all white people, no women allowed sodapop images.

Nor, on the converse, do we want to be responsible for your vice-inducing, liver-rotting, child-labor-law-violating, all white people, no-women-allowed booze images.

So as a defiant moody artist worth my salt, I've got to think of something else. Tampax, maybe."

No comments:

Post a Comment