Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Training - "The second you think you're old, you're old."

5/13 - back xt, pushups, bench, stairs,



Grundler's Over-40 Advice
"First and foremost, don't give yourself an excuse.  The second you say "Well, it's because... I'm too old or this or that thing hurts," you give yourself an out and you're not going to be doing what you should be doing to get what you want.""

"Bill Grundler has steadily improved his Regional finishes over the past three years. In 2010, he finished seventh at the South West Regional. In 2011, he took sixth at the SoCal Regional. And in 2012, he moved up to fifth in SoCal, just two spots short of a ticket to the Games. This year, before Regionals have even started, 43-year-old Grundler received an email with a golden ticket. “I just got my invitation to the Games as a Masters athlete the other day,” he says. “It is really cool to see that invitation.” However, Grundler will not be accepting the invitation. “I want to be competing at the Games so badly, but I want to do it in the (Individual) category, so I will not accept the invitation,” he says."

"I don't have many illusions these days. I'm a fat, old cripple. I'll turn 50-something this year. I discovered strongman—the actual sport, as opposed to watching television—when I was 46 or 47. Not that long ago. I'm a baby in this sport. In 2005, my body was to the point where I really couldn't walk much. Not from sports, but from disease and defect. Now, it seems like every year I go through another round of doctors who tell me, "You can't lift free weights." They all look at me and shake their head when I say, "OK, I'll just keep training Atlas stones and kegs and logs and axles and yokes and farmer walks." I go looking for new doctors. The MDs all tell me the same thing, all shake their heads. They might give me an Rx for painkillers. They tell me chiropractic care is useless...
There's a whole culture of pain med junkies, tied to the couch and the television. They've never tried strongman. They think 200 pounds is immovable. They've never been to a gym. They've never pursued, they've only medicated. Another buddy of mine was a powerlifter most of his life. At age 60, he decided it was time for something more dynamic, something different. He picked up strongman. Butch is flirting with his mid-60s, and he's still setting PRs. Last summer, fresh off back surgery, he competed at a regional show. His grandkids were there, cheering him on. How can it get better than that?"


 stopdrop-n-pushup Officially a year! I began my...




No comments:

Post a Comment