Tuesday, February 04, 2014

"And this gives you power over me?"




"That... is a lot of heroin. "



"From the “If you did this, not only would you be facing jail time but your state’s attorney general would send out a press release about it” files, a Mesa, Ariz., police officer who is receiving monthly worker’s compensation checks and successfully arranged for a medical retirement is racing in triathlons."


"I'm at the age where half of the adult conversations in my life are about one teenager or another in my extended social circle doing something that lacks "common sense." This seems to frustrate and anger adults. But it doesn't frustrate me, for the same reason I don't expect my toaster to mow my lawn. A young person's brain doesn't have a fully developed prefrontal cortex, and that's the part of the brain that imagines future consequences of current actions...  I've also noticed - and this is purely anecdotal - that some people seem to be born with full prefrontal cortex function, in terms of imagining the future, and others don't develop that ability until adulthood.

I tell a story in my new book about going to my first real-world job interview at the age of 20. I had no mentors in my life to advise me in the ways of the business world..  My common sense told me that the last thing I wanted to do in a job interview was lie, especially if the lie would be easily detected. So instead of wearing a suit to the interview, which would have required acting like a huge phony, I wore my casual student clothes. The interviewer already knew I was a senior in college, so why would I present myself in some false way to a person I wished to impress? My "common sense" said I should be honest in my appearance, to get off on the right foot. 

The interviewer took one look at me and showed me the door. He said, "I don't think you know why you're here." Ouch. As the years passed, I saw enough patterns to realize that looks can often be more important than substance. But nothing about it is "common sense." My point is that a normal, healthy brain doesn't have some magical ability called common sense. The pre-frontal cortex is either fully-formed or it isn't. And you have either seen a lot of patterns in life or you haven't. Sometimes logic matters in our decision-making, but not often. The idea of "common sense" feels like magical thinking to me..."


"...in reference to a Yahoo post called “20 Ways to Please a Woman.”  ...Here’s a few gems of her vapid boilerplate: 

Remember our friends’ names, at least the important ones. 
No, that’s not Jessica, that’s AMANDA. 
You know what you call a man who easily remembers your female friend’s name? A cheater.

Be understanding if we’re workaholics 
Don Draper’s got nothing on us. 
Because a woman loves nothing more than a man who only wants to see her five minutes a week, when she isn’t slaving away for the patriarchy. 

Don’t expect us to be gym fiends Aside from your average stress-busting yoga – but it’s more for the head, not the body. If we want abs, we’ll get them. 
But not for you. 
This is something women tell themselves all the time, but the reality is that looking good feels good because your DNA directive is to make yourself as attractive as possible to men with options, thus ensuring better survival fitness for any future children."

A religion I can get behind.




"Gould is a member of Mensa, and as of 2012, had accelerated ten grades in school. He stated on The Ellen Degeneres Show that he has an IQ of 150. During the 2012 summer, at age 13, he graduated from high school by taking a General Educational Development (GED) Test and said he hopes to take online college courses."





"CBS ran this segment on the hi-tech security center monitoring the Super Bowl. Including the wi-fi password to get onto said security center’s network."

No comments:

Post a Comment