Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Brainwash yourself or be brainwashed by others.

Scott Adams Blog: Self Talk 08/04/2009:
"We know that the brain is bidirectional. If it's happy, it can make you smile. But if you force yourself to smile when you are not happy, it can make you happier. - http://web.psych.ualberta.ca/~varn/bc/Kleinke.htm
When I was in college, which was my first social experience outside the tiny town where I grew up, I noticed that a lot of people were asking me the same question: How are you? So I decided that my answer to that question, regardless of the truth, would be always be something along the lines of great, spectacular, excellent or sensational. It's the one situation in which there is no social penalty for saying out loud that you are incredible.

How are you?

I'm fantastic.

My reasoning was that over time I might program myself through repetition to become better than I was. I have no idea if it works, but I know I enjoy telling people I'm fabulous."

No comments:

Post a Comment