Monday, August 31, 2009

Watched - 8/13 to 31st.

You know who knows how to party? Amish teenagers, apparently. This documentary was a trip. Devil's Playground (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Devil's Playground is a 2002 documentary film by Stick Figure Productions, directed by Lucy Walker about the alleged Amish rite of passage called Rumspringa. The film follows Amish teenagers in LaGrange County, Indiana who enter the 'English World' and experiment with illegal drugs, drinking, partying, and pre-marital sex. After a certain amount of time, the teenagers are expected to either become baptised as adults in the Amish community, or permanently leave the church and be forever shunned by their families and friends."
Also, religion is fucking poison.

Regularly watched stuff - UFC 101, True Blood, Colbert Report, Robot Chicken, Eureka [great series, but a clip show? Really? Sigh...]

Crazy Rulers of the World - Jon Ronson/BBC documentary series based on his book. Inspiration for the forthcoming George Clooney flick. Hard to believe in conspiracy theories when folks are clearly batshit insane.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. A lot of folks talked bad about the flick... I enjoyed it. At least up there with Temple of Doom. Fun movie.

Fat Head - genius documentary. Effective rebuttal to Super Size Me, the lipid hypothesis, modern diet and general governmental and people stupidities...


Barbarians at the Gate - 80s documentary on big business and leveraged buyouts. Duplicities in the finance industry seems timely. And James Garner rocks.

First season of Leverage on DVD - man this is good TV. Witty, well written, funny, expertly acted, nice plotting. I love a good con/caper show. Kind of like a dysfunctional 20th century A-Team. The DVD commentaries are pretty damn fun as well.

Leverage, season 2, is kicking so much ass as well. The Two Live Crew Job, in particular, last week, was really, really good.

This song, "Not Sure Yet" by Andy Lange was in the season premiere. Great song. I picked up mine on eMusic.



WEC - but only the Torres/Bowles fight. Bowles is damned impressive.

Chris Rock - Never Scared and Big Ass Jokes. Picked up the DVD for cheap on vacation. Chris Rock is one of the funniest comedians working - period.
Chris Rock: White people sell guns, that's all right. Black rapper *says*, "Guns," congressional hearing!

Chris Rock
: You know what's fucked up? Every year Tupac comes back from the dead, records a new album with clues in it - every record got a clue, if you listen real hard.
[rapping]
Chris Rock: 'A brother in red shot me dead - ' 'Right there! Track four! 'Pac is tryin' to tell us something! Listen again!'
[rapping]
Chris Rock: 'There was a nigga named Kevin with a Mac-eleven - ' 'Right there! 'Pac is reachin' out to us! *Listen!*'

Chris Rock: You know 'the stripper myth.' The stripper myth is: 'I'm stripping to pay my tuition.' No you're not! There's no strippers in college! There's no clear heels in biology! Shit, I didn't know they had a college that only took one-dollar bills. If they've got so many strippers in college, how come I never got a smart lap dance? I never got a girl that sat on my lap and said 'if I was you, I would diversify my portfolio. You know, ever since the end of the Cold War, I find NATO obsolete.' I haven't met her yet. If I do, she's gonna get a big tip.
Better Off Ted - an entertainingly funny, quirky show. Glad it got picked up for another season.

I Want to Look Like That Guy - documentary on one man's quest to look like the bodybuilders/fitness models in the magazines. I find that kind of thing kind of fascinating. Well done and executed piece of filmmaking.

Tiki Bar TV, Seasons 3&4 DVDs. Funny stuff.

Spring Breakdown - wow, did I really dislike this movie. Thought I'd dig it, Parker Posey, SNL alum, Amy Poehler. All signs pointed to entertaining. But no, nonsense. See, the lesson learned from this movie is that if you're attractive, or popular, or like to drink, or enjoy sex, that means you're really shallow and self serving. And if you're a social dweeb, who has no people skills and heaven forfend you take a sip of the devil's brew or like sex, then you're really a salt of the earth person who's so much better than everyone else. Boo. Bah. Crap.

Strikeforce - The Carano/Cyborg fight was entertaining.

The Closer - I have to tell you, Brenda Leigh Johnson is about the most unlikable character on TV for me. It says something that she performs the role so well, but she's dishonest, lying, manipulative, self involved, obtuse and tunnel visioned at the same time. And it's all excused because supposedly it's done for the "greater good." Nonsense. I swear, the show is really well crafted, but I hate that character. Abuse of authority written as the hero. Boo.

Daily Show - best part of the week - FOX becomes the new liberals
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Fox News: The New Liberals
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests


Dr Who Seasons 1 &2. Never watched Dr Who, despite my years of geekdom, but given I really enjoyed Torchwood: Children of the Earth I thought I'd check them out. They really are some enjoyable TV. Not that I want to go back and watch 30 years of it, but the first two seasons of the new stuff is really quite good. Both Chris Eccleston and David Tennant give really enjoyable performances.

Legion of Superheroes, Season 1. For cheap on vacation I picked these up. Good DC Universe animation. Really annoying they haven't done full season DVDs or set up the DVDs for season 2. Boo on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment