Saturday, November 08, 2008

Today I learned something interesting about my wedding. [+ Bonus Biblical Lesbianism!]

Sandy and I in our pseudo-Christian non-denominational ceremony from 12 years ago used a quote from the Bible that lots of folks use during their wedding, apparently. [Probably second only to the "Love is patient..." spiel from Corinthians. Man, do I know too much Bible stuff from my youth...] It's from the Book of Ruth and goes like this:
"Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried."

I don't think we used all of the quote, but Sandy and I always got a kick out of the "your people will be my people" line.

But what I did not know, and learned today - thanks Internet! - was that that quote was actually an exchange between two ladies, Ruth and her daughter in law Naomi. And this little exchange is a point of controversy because some folks think it, and other parts of the book of Ruth are indicative of a lesbian relationship between the two.

Would Jesus Discriminate? - Ruth loved Naomi as Adam loved Eve:
"The same Hebrew word that is used in Genesis 2:24 to describe how Adam felt about Eve (and how spouses are supposed to feel toward each other) is used in Ruth 1:14 to describe how Ruth felt about Naomi."

[That word is generally translated as "cleave," btw.]

And here as well... Lesbianism and the Book of Ruth « Schmitz Blitz

Of course, more conservative Biblical authorities disagree... but as always, and as with everything, whatever biblical scholars "see" and interpret from the text has far more to do with them than the text...

And ultimately, the writings of a small, Middle Eastern, semitic tribe from 2500 years ago has little to do with my life anymore... even less than it did 12 years ago... but as I appreciate subversion and non-traditionalism in all its various forms, I got a kick out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment