Friday, September 12, 2008

"The Japanese Tradition" - How to do Everything in Japan.

Awesome short documentaries teaching the ways of the Japanese culture. Well worth watching.

Origami


Tea


Shazai [Apologies]


Onigiri [Rice Ball]


Yes, these are comedies. Their video on sushi made the rounds some time ago, and I could have sworn I posted it up, but can't find it, so maybe not.

Rahmens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Rahmens (ラーメンズ) is a Japanese comedy duo (owari kombi) consisting of Jin Katagiri (片桐仁) and Kentarō Kobayashi (小林賢太郎). The pair first met in Tama Art University, Tokyo. Starting out as a konto (conte:comic short plays) group in 1996, now they are popular in US as Mac and PC in the Japanese 'Get a Mac' advertisement. They starred in the 'Japanese Tradition' video series directed by Kobayashi (e.g. 'sushi', 'dogeza'), which was originally made for a Japanese audience. The series has become popular outside Japan via the internet, with some anonymous people making English subtitles for them."
It's funny, I find a lot of Japanese comedy really broad and kind of banal [probably true of all climes and places] but I really dug these. Witty and dry, almost British.

Here's the sushi vid, the first one I saw...

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the sumo one with subtitles? That's the one I keep searching for.

    They also did one on dating or something...I forget the title, but it's tips on how to pick up a Japanese woman, followed by an extended skit where the tips are put into use. Very, very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've never seen the sumo vid... I want to now though...

    I just saw a buncha the dating ones over here the other day - http://japanliness.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-japanese-education-part-2-dating.html

    Funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete