Friday, March 10, 2006

""Shut the fuck up... and find your own fucking shoes."

From Warren Ellis' BadSignal:

I can't get excited about a RFID-SpimeWorld-blogjectsphere-InternetOfThings future where we get to google the location of our shoes in the morning. Data-tagging everything so we know where all our stuff is seems to me to be an essentially Autism Spectrum enterprise. Arphid socks are right up there with the Segway in the list of infantilising technologies, to my admittedly cranky and fairly slow mind. I don't wanna walk, I wanna be carried along by an electric pushchair. Shut the fuck up. Walking won't kill you. And find your own fucking shoes.

What is the point of making it easier to find, gather and read lots of different information streams? This is where SpimeWorld makes sense to me. It generates history. And history is what we learn from, so that the mistakes we make are at least new. And combining viewpoints gives us a better, more complete look at the present. Which in turn allows the future to leak in. And that's what I'm interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment