Thursday, March 09, 2006

"If man makes it, I don't eat it"


Kimberly Garrison | At 91, Jack LaLanne is still in the fast lane:
"The only way you hurt the body is when you don't use it. Sitting around on your big fat gluteus maximus talking about the good old days. The good old days are right this second. You've got to exercise VIG-OR-OUSLY! Life is tough. Life is a challenge. Life is a battlefield... . Life is an athletic event, and you must train for it.

Q: Jack, what led you to pursue a career in fitness?

A: Well, I was a weak, sick kid. I was suicidal, psychotic, failing in school. I was a sugarholic... . Alcohol and sugar are synonymous. Both destroy the B vitamins. People are addicted to sugar just like they're addicted to booze.

Q: Many people pray for good health. What are your thoughts on that?

A: That's a big bunch of BS. God helps them who helps themselves. He gives you the power to do it. You've got to do it! People overeat, get fat, get sick and then pray to God. In life, there are certain rules you must follow. Life is like an athletic event. You've got to have goals and challenges. Exercise is king; nutrition is queen!

Q: What about genetics?

A: You can't change your genetics. If you're tall, you're tall, and if you're short, you're short. Work with what you have and strive to be your best. Don't give excuses.

Q: When did you discover juicing?

A: I've been juicing since I was 15. I attended a health lecture that literally changed my life. I began juicing and became a strict vegetarian, and I joined the Berkeley [Calif.] YMCA. I began exercising, changed my diet, and the rest is history. I changed my life. My strength doubled. My energy doubled. No more headaches.

...If man makes it, I don't eat it. I practice what I preach. I eat 10 raw vegetables, 5 pieces of fruit, egg whites and fish for protein, and whole grains. Finally, if you can't have a sense of humor, you're dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment