Saturday, November 08, 2008

"The evidence is starting to add up. Start Trek references, disdain for overt stupidity, possible Beastie Boys reference..."- Barack Obama, ONE OF US?

A geek, that is. Somehow this fills me with more hope than anything else... [And it also explains how the man could blow a Sanford and Son reference. Which made Redd Foxx cry. In Heaven.]

Balloon Juice » Blog Archive » Barack Obama, Super Dork:
"The evidence is starting to add up. Start Trek references, disdain for overt stupidity, possible Beastie Boys reference.

Barack Obama might be… ONE. OF. US."

Nestled deep in the third chapter of the seven piece story in Newsweek about the election, titled How He Did It, is this little nugget:

“That’s an interesting belt buckle,” he said to Michelle, mischievously. She feigned offense and said, “I am interesting, next to you. Surprise, surprise, a blue suit, a white shirt and a tie.” Obama grinned and bent down until he was almost at eye level with her waist. He jabbed a playful finger toward her belt buckle, and let loose his inner nerd. “The lithium crystals! Beam me up, Scotty!” Obama squeaked, laughing at his own lame joke as Michelle rolled her eyes.

In part one of the Newsweek piece, there was this:

“...I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to myself, ‘You know, this is a stupid question, but let me … answer it.’ Instead of being appropriately [the tape is garbled]. So when Brian Williams is asking me about what’s a personal thing that you’ve done [that’s green], and I say, you know, ‘Well, I planted a bunch of trees.’ And he says, ‘I’m talking about personal.’ What I’m thinking in my head is, ‘Well, the truth is, Brian, we can’t solve global warming because I f–––ing changed light bulbs in my house. It’s because of something collective’.”

In the comments to the Beastie Boys thread the other night, someone noted the following:

The wife and I were just saying the other night that we’re pretty sure Obama listens to the Beastie Boys. We saw an interview with Jeff Tweedy that taught us that Barack likes Wilco, so that kind of narrows down preferred musical era. Then, we saw an election eve clip of Obama talking about feeling nervous enough to have a heart attack in which he screwed up the famous Sanford and Son “I’m coming Elizabeth” quote, substituting Weezie for Elizabeth, just as Mike D does on Shazam from To the Five Boroughs!
More evidence!
Leonard Nimoy recounts an encounter with Barack Obama at a political function in which the Sentator said, "I heard you were here" while giving the Vulcan salute.



Barack Obama, our geek-pimp philosopher-President for the 21st Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment