Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Training.

1/21 - chins, bw rows, knee raises, grip/hang/coct, stretch


RossTraining.com Blog: "Within the last paragraph, I wrote about a friend of mine who at the time was in his late 40s. He is a former fighter who stayed in excellent shape with what many would consider a basic routine. When I was last in contact with him, his routine consisted of a strength workout on day one, hill running and calisthenics on day two, and a boxing workout on day three. He would repeat this three day sequence twice a week.

...to my surprise, I ran into him at a boxing event over the weekend. He’s in his 50s now and is still in great shape. After busting his stones about disappearing from the earth, we grabbed a cup of coffee and chatted for a few minutes before the fights. I asked him how his training was going and he nonchalantly replied, “Same sh*t, different day.” He went on to say that he no longer has access to free weights. Instead, he has been working with a weighted vest. He wears it for exercises such as pull-ups, pushups, dips, squats, and lunges. A strength workout for him consists of a few sets wearing the vest and then a few sets without it. He averages two weighted vest workouts each week in his basement. He has also maintained his running but has shifted towards more trail work. He likes running the trails and will usually do a few sets of calisthenics before or after the run. He also does the same boxing workout once or twice a week which consists of shadow boxing, punching the heavy bag, and skipping rope. 

 The Moral To The Story - Believe it or not, there is a point to this entry... the message that I hope to convey is one that I’ve shared many times before. In short, complex routines are not necessary for general health and strength. My friend is in his 50s and could hang with most healthy adults who are half his age. Ironically, he has maintained his ability with a routine that many fitness professionals would surely critique. My friend doesn’t care about periodization, restoration, variety or any other industry buzzword. In fact, he doesn’t even have a computer. He told me that his hard drive crashed sometime around 2012 and he had no reason to purchase another. Therefore, he’s obviously a guy who doesn’t wait until Monday morning to read the latest breakthroughs in the fitness industry. He doesn’t subscribe to any newsletters and has probably never read a scientific journal in his life. His exercise philosophy is pretty simple. In his words, “Push yourself and try to find something that you enjoy, or at least don’t dread doing. And if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” And while his routine and philosophy may seem archaic, the results are impossible to deny. This man’s consistency and diligence have proven to be invaluable. He is in tremendous shape in his 50s and doesn’t pay any attention to the modern fitness industry. His comments about the industry were actually quite classic, but are probably something I shouldn’t share here to avoid any lawsuits."


  



1.     Stop eating fake foods...

2.     Start focusing on the foods that are especially nutritious for you.  I do well with berries, bison, and healthy milk products.  Wild salmon in particular is like a magical healing potion to me.  But I’m a cold-weather person with upper-latitude lactose-tolerant DNA, so my experience is no substitute for your experiments.  Whatever you do, get plenty of healthy animal and/or coconut fat.  If you’re very overweight, eliminate starches and limit fruit while still eating your fill of healthy fat. 

3.     Increase your strength with free weights: barbells or dumbbells.  Squat, deadlift, and some kind of press should account for 80% of your focus..." 

1 comment:

  1. Finding the same post last week but didn't get. I'm very pleased with you. However more post about it online, but your understanding is more and more upper with users. I want to share it with my girlfriend who has seeking like this post.
    Hello again, I have a little demand from you. Could you please help me reach out a post about best weighted vest. I decided to buy a weighted vest for my back massage. I heard about it a very lightweight and useful thing for the everyday lifestyle. I also find from your blog but didn't. If you mention a post with my comment I will be very happy. Waiting for your reply.
    Thanks
    Bikash Roy

    ReplyDelete