Monday, March 09, 2009

Gonna need another water bottle.

And just when I'd picked up a good one too.
From 2009-03-09

So I'm pedaling pretty hard out to school this morning when my gears on my bike slip, I lose my balance and I wipe out fairly hard. All the more embarrassing because one of the Yanki kids from my Jr High is coming the opposite way and sees the whole thing. Shouldn't give him a hard time though, he had the decency to stop and ask how I was.

So anyways, you know how when something like that happens you only kinda/sorta can remember what goes down? Flash and then it's over. So yeah, I can't remember exactly how it played out, but since I'm telling the story, as I fell to ground headfirst, I smoothly tucked and rolled like a ninja. Kinda, anyways. But apparently not as smooth as I thought, as when I got to school the metal water bottle I was wearing on my backpack got dinged up pretty good. Still, pretty smooth... nary a scrape or a scratch on my person, unlike the last time I crashed. And you know, managing to shoulder roll while wearing a pack while falling off a bike, I'm awesome. I couldn't do it if I actually tried to do it, but good to know I've got some reflex patterns in there somewhere.

So that makes 3 bike crashes in Japan in 3 and a half years. The first, alcohol/enkai related, the second the tires slipped out from under me in the rain, and the third today. Not bad.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar incident my 1st year here. Front wheel got caught between basically the curb and one of those water ways on the side of the road, where the asphalt had worn down. Wheel stopped. Momentum didn't. I went head over handlebars and landed in the road. Had to move my bike out of a car's way. Busted my tie pin and put a nice rip in my pants. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete