Sunday, December 07, 2008

Training 236-239/P90X 4-7.

So that's the end of week one on P90X, and holy Jesus is that a tough set of workouts. I'll never mock infomercials again, cause you never know. It doesn't help, of course, that I'm still pretty woefully out of shape, despite having dropped 15-20lbs since starting back working out...

And Tony Horton, the uber-enthusiastic trainer who leads the workouts is just a goddamned machine. [At 45, as he notes.]

It's a trite and cliched truism that's repeated throughout the wkouts - "Do your best, and forget the rest." - nevertheless it's what's getting me through. Going head to head with just how uncoordinated and unathletic I've become isn't pleasant, but there's nothing to do but consistently press onwards.

If by the end of 90 days I can just keep up w/the workouts, we'll consider that an impressive achievement and go from there.

236/4 - 2.5L water, 5 meals, a few coffees and Yoga X. A word on the yoga routine. It's not a relaxing, soothing, calming your body and mind type of thing. Not for me, leastways. It was a grueling, dripping sweat at the 20m mark [of a 75m workout] and falling on my ass often for a lack of balance and coordination. Brutal. Also, I forgot to hit the Ab RipperX from yesterday, so I made up for that today. Hit a few more reps per set than the last time, so, hey, progress.

237/5 - 2.5L water, 5 meals, coffees and Legs & Back.

238/6 - Free/Rest day. Just like before on BFL, I'll probably almost always be switching out my Saturdays and Sundays, making Saturday my free/rest day and Sunday my wkout day. I was going to try and knock out the X Stretch/active rest program, but I had an English Speech recitation/work thing for most of the day, and I couldn't conquer my laziness once I got home from that but to do anything but veg out.

239/7 - 2L water, 2 meals and Kempo X. Thank god. Finally, a workout I can kind of hang with. Years of playing at Bruce Lee and MMA training/dabbling ensures that muscle memory is kind. Though my kicks are still slow and weak - but that's how it is when your actual MMA base is collegiate boxing - the combos flow fairly well. And while some of the traditional karate/Kempo techniques they use in the cardio wkout are kind of... well, bad... to put it bluntly... I'm able to tweak them into actually useful techniques.

Inspiration - RossTraining.com Blog » More Proof That Age Is Just A Number:
"A week doesn’t pass without an email from a new reader to the site who feels over the hill in his 30’s or 40’s. They honestly believe that they are too old to turn back the hands of time.

...I continue to tell others that the body will keep performing if it is treated properly, but there are still many who don’t listen. Fortunately, the video below offers visual proof. Actions speak louder than words, and this man is full of action.

At age 67, Dominic is able to perform movements and routines that would crush many 27 year olds. I don’t know the man, but I was certainly impressed after seeing his video posted on my forum. Everyone who saw the video had nothing but positive things to say, and most couldn’t believe that a 67 year old was in such tremendous condition. It isn’t every day that you bump into someone in their 60’s or 70’s who regularly cranks out pull-ups, pushups and burpees.

There are two things that I particularly like about this video. First (obviously), it’s great to see a man in his 60’s who continues to bust his ass and stay in top condition. What I also enjoy however is the relative simplicity of his routines. I don’t see any fancy equipment in his workout room. He is a perfect example of low-tech/high-effect.


...Perhaps they can learn from his example. Hard work and consistency often prove more valuable than any so called “state of the art” program or facility. Some get lost in paralysis by analysis while others just get up and go. Falling back on the basics doesn’t mean that you don’t understand more complex approaches. It simply means that you already know what works and won’t become lost in the endless search."

And here's another one - 402.5 Lb raw deadlift at age 78

No comments:

Post a Comment