Saturday, January 06, 2007

"Humans and human relationships are much more complex than any media can portray (although some of us do try)."

Great essay... should be read in full at the link.
Wired News: Where I Come From
Yet I also understand where people are coming from when they're freaked out by how other people express their sexuality. I don't agree with homophobia, with narrow definitions of love, with declaring that it is OK for some people and not for others, with abstinence or with defining "right ways" and "wrong ways" to have sex. But I know if you grow up in a family that doesn't talk about sex at all, or that teaches you to be disgusted by other people's sexual choices or passes along bias, it can be a long road to realizing that your prejudices are wrong.

I still believe the internet will help us create a more tolerant society, and provide time for people to explore and bring their new understandings into the rest of their lives. It does not surprise me that we leap into virtual worlds to explore what we aren't encouraged to do elsewhere. Sex is a force that can't be held back for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment