Saturday, January 27, 2007

The BAT-BLOG and youthful nostalgia

Recently came across the BAT-BLOG and one of the things they feature are old toys from back in the day... at least for me. Coming across those toys from my youth was quite a trip down memory lane...

The key component was the MEGO dolls [before the days of "action figures", natch]... the core of my pre-teen comic book toys... I had, if I remember correctly, Batman, Robin and maybe the Riddler and the Joker. My memory's terrible, but that seems right...



And I may not have had this Batcave exactly, but it was definitely a version of it. I remember the plastic laminated cardboard in all its fold-out glory. A Christmas present, I think.



Though the more I look at it, I'm certain that was the actual one I had. I remember the battery powered BatSignal that served as my own personal flashlight for a while.

This, on the other hand, I distinctly remember owning. Albeit briefly. I think it was also a Christmas present, but here's the rub... I think I only had it a few months before I left it out in the driveway, and dad accidentally backed over it, crushing it in all its glorious plastic construction. That was a sad day indeed, Bat-fans.



I had the Corgi Batmobile [which would fire little missiles, which I promptly lost] and the Batboat, but don't think I ever had the Batcopter.



And this very cool "blow the bridge up" set I never had, but I remember the ads and coveted owning it very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment