Sunday, October 08, 2006

Pregnant teachers, new teachers, enkais and karaoke.


Yamane-sensei, one of the english teachers at the Jr High School got married last year and now is all sorts of pregnant. With the end of the semester, she's starting her year off of maternity leave. So we have a brand new teacher coming in - Shibata sensei - who, in the "hey, small world" category, went to college at Seinan University with Sandy's cousin Aiko. So last Friday we had a "hail and farewell" enkai at a restaurant with about a dozen teachers, followed up with a rousing karaoke adventure.

Commence Karaoke!

I always thought Yamashita-sensei had that J-Pop boy band thing going on...


As deeply soulful as a white boy and his Japanese compatriot can be.

This is our brand new English teacher Shibata-sensei. Check out that singing!

Alcohol makes me entirely comfortable serenading other men.

Itazaki-sensei, on the left, went to sleep as soon as we got there. Yamashita-sensei lasted a little while. At least I had the decency to wait till I got home to pass out.

Look how happy I look. If I knew the brutal hangover that was to follow, I would not have been so genki...

Coming home after a night of hard drinking karaoke and attempting to get anything else done is an endeavor in futility. But look at that effort! Hand still clutching the mouse with a mighty arthritic grip!

More pics here http://picasaweb.google.com/Rob.G.Pugh/20061008, if so inclined.

2 comments:

  1. Her name is Aiko. Man, living three years near the girl and you still don't know her name??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I almost spit up my green tea looking at that last picture of you clutching your mouse! Thanks for all the cool pics and stuff.

    ReplyDelete