Monday, July 20, 2009

Training 389-92.

389 - DB Squats/Asst Pistols, SLDL/Swiss Ball Hamstring Curls, Calf Raises, Crunches/Alt Twist Situps

390 - Rest

391 - 20m HIIT interval kickboxing/MMA

392 - So I blew off the "Pushups, Pullups, Squats, Situps" workouts after only a week [challenging but boring] then I had a week of screwing off, basically, and then two weeks of working out again with decent consistency on a diff protocol. Still, since today is the only day this week where I'm actually sure of my schedule, I figured I'd check my 1 set max on those same exercises I'd tested out on a month ago.

Pushups - from 28 to 35
Air Squats - from 40 to 60
Dead Hang Pullups - from 8 to 10 [I must admit, double digits is a pretty nice feeling - yeah, yeah, ego, ego, blah, blah]
Situps - from 31 to 45

So that's kinda nice, overall improvement even without really trying on those specific exercises. Onwards, upwards, work in progress, etc, etc...

After a bit of rest, out of curiosity I wanted to check out my one set max on chinups. Interesting benchmark only because I did chins as part of my PFT in the Marines a decade [jesus, a decade?] ago. Funny, because the first 4 years or so of my time in service the Marines allowed kipping and body English when you did your chins or pullups and then the last year I was in they changed the regs to dead hang style, no kipping. With kipping I always got the 20 reps to max out, but on dead hang, my last year I think I got only 17. Anyways, that means I've got a baseline going back the last 10 years or so. Today I hit 13 dead hang reps. Not too shabby considering, despite recent weight loss, I'm still about 10-15lbs heavier than I was in the Marines. And I'd done a max set of pullups 15-20m before. Oddly, it felt like my grip gave out before my back, which means I need more grip/forearm work. But still, given that 16 months ago I'd been reduced to 1 chinup, to hit 13 is pretty good. [That's what? A 1200% increase? I suck at the math stuff...]

And 1hr light muay thai shadowboxing, 2x10 dislocates/facepulls/pullaparts

No comments:

Post a Comment