Friday, October 23, 2015

"“Everyone likes me... and thinks I’m great... In My Safe Space." #completelyshameless

"You're sad?  That people are mean?  Well, I'm sorry but the world isn't one big liberal arts college campus...  You want to put all your shit up on the internet and have every single person say 'Hooray!' for you.  Fuck you.  You're all pricks."


The bad guy of the episode is, of course, "Reality."  South Park is killing it this season.  Full episode here:  Safe Space - Full Episode - Season 19 - Ep 05 | South Park Studios

Wait, Did ‘South Park’ Just Make A Good Point About Body Shaming?: "South Park’s “Safe Space” episode doesn’t troll. Instead, it asks a totally legitimate question: If you call public attention to your body, are you not opening yourself up to criticism? If you post a picture of yourself nearly naked on Instagram, doesn’t that mean you want people to talk about your body? It’s harsh, sure, but it’s true. And if you don’t want to hear the bad with the good, there’s always that unspoken option: Stay off social media.

...the character of Butters is tasked with weeding out all the negative comments on social media. “Lena Dunham a put a picture of her asshole on Twitter and only wants the positive comments,” he panics, while Lovato (in cartoon form) sits behind him and says, “People have to accept my body the way it is!” Later, the cast sings a song with lyrics like, “Everyone likes me and thinks I’m great in my safe space / People don’t judge me and haters don’t hate in my safe space / Bully proof windows, troll-safe doors rainbows all around me / There is no shame in my safe space.”  The “safe space” is a magical world in which only the positive comes through, sort of like the oft-criticized generation in which kids are told they’re perfect and deserve everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. It might sound like a good idea, but it’s actually a nightmare. "

No comments:

Post a Comment