Monday, February 02, 2015

Training.

2/2 - press, chins, dips, pike pushups, crow


Solid advice.  More good stuff at the link.  LIFT-RUN-BANG: 40 lessons learned: "Sleep and water intake are incredibly underrated in regards to recovery.  If your sleep has been shit, and your hydration levels aren't fulfilled, then training is going to suck.  People need to make those bigger priorities...

The internet is both a blessing, and a curse.  There is so much good information out there to help someone get better, but there is also so many dumbasses dishing out shit that it can get difficult to navigate through at times.  I feel bad for a lot of noobs that already have a problem overthinking shit.  Maybe they would be best served getting off the net, and spending more time in the gym?  

The 80/10/10 rule - 80% of the workouts you will have are just "getting the work in" type.  10% will be awful, and 10% will be awesome.  Believe it or not, it's stacking up tons of those 80% sessions that mean the most.  We can't always explain the reasons for shit workouts or awesome ones, so consistency is what matters.  And getting the work in, over a long period of time, is how you stack a lot of bricks to build a big base...

Most people love new trends because they believe they are missing some secret that has been eluding them from achieving their goals.  There is literally nothing we don't know at this point about gaining mass, losing fat, or getting stronger.  The main ingredients to getting better are not getting injured, being consistent, and making sure all of your bases are covered in regards to recovery...

The best way to really develop a physique you are aiming for, is to set performance goals.  Instead of thinking about developing a bodypart, find the movements that work that bodypart the most efficiently for you, and create goals to hit with them.  As I've written many times before, your function creates your form...

Just because someone is jacked and/or strong doesn't mean they have a clue about training or nutrition.  Yet I see so many guys now that think because a guy can lift X amount of weight, or has 22" arms, that he has to have the keys to the kingdom.  It's just not true.   On the flip side, anyone claiming to be an expert, I believe, should have some "go" and some "show".  Just my opinion.   Most of the people I see that can't lose fat, can't because they are lazy.  And lazy people are always full of excuses."

Mike Henry | Iron Guru: "Mike Henry was a student of bodybuilding legend Vince Gironda of Hollywood. Mike worked out at his gym with such stars as Clint Walker and William Smith (who turned down the role of Tarzan for the TV show). Mike Henry was a linebacker for the Los Angeles Rams back in the day. At 6-3, and 228 lbs, he was a formidable football player with a steamroller physique. When contracted to play Tarzan, he had to lose twenty pounds off his waist and thighs. The result was a body that could have been sculpted by Michaelangelo."






2 comments:

  1. I lived with my Uncle (an actor) in the Hollywood Hills as a teenager in the 70's, Vince's gym was on Ventura blvd near Coldwater cyn, the street I lived on. Kurt took me to Vince's and bought me a membership, I was a hot shot in High school football making Varsity in my freshman year due to squatting 480 lbs, the next best was 300 lbs but he could bench 345 compared to my 270.
    I was shocked to hear Vince tell me, Oh yeah? you look fat to me! and tossed me a sheet with his maximum definition diet, essentially all the protein you can eat and 1 day of carb loading. I saw Eric Estrada, Hulk Hogan
    and pictures of many more on his walls, he was buff even when old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! What a cool experience...

      Delete