Monday, September 12, 2011

"Addiction Is Not A Disease Of The Brain" - NPR

I've never bought into the addiction-as-disease model, and that's speaking as somebody who's exhibited a long history of addictive behavioral tendencies and coming from a family with a history of addiction.  All behaviors have at least five factors [and I know I'm stealing this from someone, but can't remember who, probably either Leary or R.A. Wilson] - genetics, imprinting, learning, environment, and happenstance.  Claiming 'disease/addiction' strikes me as a cop-out.  And it doesn't help me that the disease model is most touted by that cult-y, pseudo-christian, 'we're all sinners who need god' at AA.  Choice and will, in all things.

Addiction Is Not A Disease Of The Brain : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR: "...we haven't discovered, in the reward reinforcement system, a neurochemical signature of addiction. We haven't discovered the place where addiction happens in the brain. After all, the so-called highjacking of the reward system is not itself a neurochemical process; it is a process whereby neurochemical events get entrained within in a larger pattern of action and decision making.
Is addiction a disease of the brain? That's a bit like saying that eating is a phenomenon of the stomach. The stomach is an important part of the story. But don't forget the mouth, the intestines, the blood, and don't forget the hunger, and also the whole socially-sustained practice of producing, shopping for and cooking food.
And so with addiction. The neural events in VTA clearly belong to the underlying mechanisms of addiction. They are necessary, but not sufficient; they are only part of the story...
Is addiction a disease of the brain? This strikes me as a dubious falsification of what is, really, a phenomenon that can only be understood in terms of the life, choices, needs and understanding of the whole person."
'via Blog this'

7 comments:

  1. You're right, it's not a disease of the brain....solely. It's a disease of the mind, body, and spirit. I'm an eighteen-year-old drug addict who actually finds HELP in Narcotics anonymous. So I don't know what kind of tendencies/behaviors you think you've experienced, but if you were truly an addict you would better understand the DISEASE of addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've found help with whatever problems you've had through whatever methods work for you. That being said, your thinking isn't very clear to me, personally... In calling it a "disease of the mind, body and spirit" I'm left with nothing to hold on to. "Body" and brain are clearly the same thing and "mind" and "spirit" are interesting metaphors but leave nothing to hang onto when speaking of disease. The condescending bit at the end is, well, condescending. A similarly futile and meaningless retort would be to propose that when you've lived twice as long you have now, and reached the age I have, maybe you would *understand.* Anyways, best of luck to you.

      Delete
    2. I won't say this to my kids but addiction is what draws me to being who I am. Religion or not it is a decision I make as long as I am conscious. I believe using the word disease makes me weak. If I call my addictions a disease or diseases it's as if I can't shake it off without some external intervention. I do choose both in my strong and weak moments to follow whatever makes me feel good now or in the future. Even if I give money to the church I do it because I believe it will help someone or perhaps make me look more favorable to God. If I raise a drink to my lips it has more to do with liking the buzz than the taste. If I smoke a joint and more and more joints because I am in pain and it makes me feel good than I will continue to do it until my health declines and I am six feet under. It's a dumb idea but it's still a choice.

      Delete
    3. I think that's a powerful mental model. Glad you've found something that works for you.

      Delete
  2. your right rob great verble gymnastics by the way. I am a 20 year old recovered drug addict, I was addicted to methamphetamine and crack cocaine and opiates. yes all 3. and i used one of three atleast everyday for 6 years. And I am the first to tell ya addiction is NOT a disease. All it takes to quit is the will the intention and the choice to do so. I have been clean for 7 months and I had no external help it was simply a matter of awareness, enlightenment, and choice. I cant stand when people say addiction is a disease. if it were i would still be drugged up espesially me i shot meth almost everyday and pills for 6 years I was deep in addiction. Yes addiction changes the brain, but through neuro plasticity most of those changes can be reversed. I have been around drugs since i have quit and i used to crave them terribly but now I dont care about them. I am now in college and studying metaphisics, and philosophy is my new dope thanx again rob man i love your report i am pasting it to my flash drive, because I am doing a report on addiction is not a brain disease. well thanks again. write back and ill try to help you, help others understand that addiction is not a brain disease, rather a matter of choice. a tough choice, but a choice nontheless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be a joke! A poor 1 at that. People dont really buy this right? Still? Naaa, joke gotta be. If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem....
    Education is key! And im not talkin about the academy of the "long time behaviour problem that comes from a family with a history of addiction" education! Real education. This is to easy, im just gonna stop here

    ReplyDelete