Friday, December 24, 2010

Fried Chicken at Xmastime - carrying on a fine Japanese tradition.

While not actually indulging on fried chicken [my kryptonite for growing up in the South] on Xmas day itself - the Mrs purchased a turkey long ago - I'm still keeping up with the 5 years old tradition of excellent chicken goodness at Christmastime.  [Now that I've departed the land of the Rising Sun, I think this'll be my Christmas Eve tradition for years to come.]


 Thanks to Monrovia's Monroe Chicken - "The Love of Chicken Brought Us Here."  [A play on words from the country's motto.]  The love of chicken did not, in fact, bring us to Liberia.  That would be the USGOV.  But the love of chicken doesn't hurt.  That's all I'm saying.


It's no Japanese Kentucky Christmas Party Barrel, but you make do with what you have in West Africa.


For those unfamiliar with this fine Japanese tradition, a quick summary from an article this year about how McD's in Japan is trying to dethrone the king of all that is Xmas in Japan - McDonald's vs. KFC for Japan's best festive feast | CNNGo.com:
"KFC (or “kentakkii,” as it’s popularly known) launched its Japan-wide Christmas campaign in 1974 and since then has aggressively marketed its buckets as a holiday essential.

Today, as Public Radio International's Akiko Fujita has reported, 'KFC commercials signal the start of the Christmas season in Japan..."
Pic via.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I miss my Party Barrel...and it's convenience...

    ReplyDelete