Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Japan - the things I'll miss, the things I won't.

Can't believe that's 5 years.

I'll miss... My students, the kids, most of all.  I grew really attached to them.  Much more than I ever could've anticipated before I came back to Japan.  You know, you don't wanna throw around a word like "love" needlessly, but if love is that thing where you wish every sense of happiness and fulfillment for someone else, then god yeah, I've loved these kids.  I hope their lives are brilliant.

My coworkers, and the friends I've made. There haven't been many, but the few there have been have been genius.

Small town living. Tsuyazaki is brilliant. And the big city is only 45m away.

Japanese customer service. Second to none.  Especially the clerks at the local 7-11... who may be some of the the nicest human beings on the planet.

The use of jankenpon to settle all disputes. I swear, governments worldwide should adapt this policy. Makes far more sense than anything else, would save millions of lives.

Japan's cultural and rampant acceptance of overdrinking and alcoholism. Yes, I may have issues. Shut up. It's still brilliant.

The fact that, if necessary, you could completely live and sustain your entire existence from the local konbini [convenience store.]

Japan's ready acceptance of skirts that are wildly and inappropriately short. And that are shorter in winter than summer. Yes, sooo very sexist - blah, blah, blah...  But.  You know.  Guy over here. And, well... awesome.

Japan's food culture - karaage, great sushi as convenient as the local supermarket, sticky rice, daifuku, an ice cold Asahi, a hot cup of sake in winter, tamagozaki when I've got a cold, ramen in the winter - somen in summer, a crisp Mitsuya Cider, a fresh tuna/mayo-ebi/mayo onigiri...

[Also, from my hateful point of view, in all of Japan, so few Christians to deal with. That's right, I said it.]

Things I won't miss... The whole shoe thing. I don't really need three pairs of shoes for one school. That's just absurd. And I'm glad I spent a better part of my last two years just ignoring that silliness. [shhhhhh!]

The bicycle commute during the rainy season.

Sunday AM citywide loudspeaker announcements...

No comments:

Post a Comment