Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Old School Hip-Hop YouTube Spiral.

17 years in - goddamn I'm old - this is still infectious. Pete Rock was a bad, bad man.

"I'm not a hippie, but yo B, I'm hip..."


Speaking of Pete Rock... one of the best tracks in hip-hop. Ever.


Never have figured out who was badder... Guru or Premier... Together they were unstoppable, though.


You do, in fact, gots to chill.


The irony is, of course, is that this was a "crossover" hit. As is all hip-hop music of any popularity. Without dumb white kids [like me] buying tapes and later CDs back in the day, hip-hop never has the influence it has now, for good or ill. That's right. Blame whitey. Damn crackers.


Not the Golden Age without PE. "Yes. The Rhythm. The Rebel."


But THIS is THE Public Enemy jam.

"...Crucifixion ain't no fiction, so called chosen frozen
Apology made to who ever pleases, still they got me like Jesus
I rather sing, bring, think reminisce...

Caught in the race against time, the pit and the pendulum
Check the rhythm and rhymes, while I'm bendin' 'em...

Every brother ain't a brother, cause a Black hand
Squeezed on Malcom X the man
The shootin' of Huey Newton, from a hand of a nig who pulled the trigger..."


Yes. You. Can.


As close as I'll get to an MJ tribute [though 'Off the Wall' and the Jackson 5 are still badass] with the 'Human Nature' hook...

"This rhythmatic explosion, is what your frame of mind has chosen
I'll leave your brain stimulated, niggaz is frozen
Speak with criminal slang, begin like a violin
End like Leviathan, it's deep well let me try again..."


Hola. Hola. A.

[I don't care. I dug this.]


First posse cut I remember jamming to. Bonus points - the vid is from Rap City, Puffy is the sign holder and Big Daddy Kane is wearing some kind of all purple satin ensemble. With a matching scarf.

I miss 1991.


1990 was so positive even Too Short was a conscious rapper.

"600 million on a football team, and her baby died just like a dope fiend."


From the hands down classic O.G. "My brain's a hand grenade. Catch."


"Whoever said that what I say and portray is negativity, need to come kick it in the city with me..

"They put a hurtin' on your ass, man, you know, they really degrade you,
White folks don't believe that shit, don't believe that cops degrade you... 'Oh come on, those people, those people was resistin' arrest.'""


Nobody figured the Geto Boys would be the first to go metaphysical.


I don't care what happened later... Hammer was a bad mf'er.


If you're of a certain age, and you say you didn't like, or didn't dance to this, you're a damn liar. I remember jamming to this at impromptu T-Court pep rallies in 1990-1 [that only makes sense if you're a USNA grad...]

I don't care. Before he got stupid and started talking junk, I dug his music.


Juice - and New Jack City - were the soundtracks of '91.


Personally, I say the Golden Age went from '86-'94, which means this counts...

"Don't be mad, UPS is hiring..."


Yeah, "Summertime" was the anthem, but this was the dopest, slickest, flyest thing that JJ & the FP did. Still the JAM.

"Hold up, Jeff, wait a minute, play it
He just smiled and said, "Yeah def ain't it?""

No comments:

Post a Comment