Monday, May 18, 2009

Training - Velocity Diet, Week 1 [322-8.]

Week 1 - Was trying to do daily updates, and am gonna try to do that from now on, but this past week just seemed stacked with stuff to do.

Okay, the Mrs left out in the beginning of March and I became a sad, backsliding mf'er. After about a month of that I was about ready to get back to it, but knew I had multiple social events coming up. Normally not feeling beholden to such things, but here in Japan these types of social occasions are fairly significant, and I both dig them and want to maintain decent working relationships for my last 14 months. But after checking those boxes and eating and drinking everything not nailed down, by the beginning of May I'd gained back about 8lbs or so - nothing but fat, I'm sure - from around January/February.

Given the last strict regime I gave a shot at - P90X - I had good results but crapped out mentally after about 2 months of the three month program. So I was looking for something not quite as long and settled on the T-Nation Velocity Diet. Four weeks uber-strict, every meal and wkout laid out, with an only slightly less strict two week transition. Total for six weeks. Even I should be able to swing that. So I saved up a couple bucks and ordered up some supplements and protein powders, as the program is fairly supplement intensive.

In short, 5-6 feedings of specific foods/supplements per day [a lot of protein shakes], specific weight training 3x per week, NEPA [non-exercise physical activity 5-6x per week], and one day a week of a bodyweight circuit training.

May 11th was my kickoff day and I didn't miss a trick for the first 6 days. Day 7 was kind of a clusterfuck, and no one's fault but my own. Stayed up too late the night before, finishing reading a book... up at 6AM the next day and out all day at my school's sports festival. Yawning and sucking wind by the time I got home at 5PM, I took a nap, and when I got up sucked down a bunch of caffeine and coffe with the intention of knocking out my bodyweight circuit and sucking down my last protein shake. No joy. The spirit was willing, the flesh was weak. So... big suckage, that was.

Otherwise, the week looked like this -

NEPA [M-Sat] Walks of 35,40,38,35,33,39m, respectively.

Weights, MWF - of course, as I planned on starting on Mon the 11th, the prior Thurs/Fri I ended up screwing up my lower back playing with kids [fending off 4 Jr High school Judo lads isn't as easy as it once was] and digging post holes for the school's sports day. As such, the "squats" I did on Monday were more like 1/2 or 1/4 squats as my back decided to scream at me whenever I tried to descend.

M - DB Squats, Chins, DB Bench, Ab Wheel Rollouts
W - Step Up, DB Bent over Row, DB Push Press, DB Curl, Rv Crunch
F - DB DL, Atlas PU, Asst Neutral Grip Pullups, Hand Walkouts

T-Nation.com | 7 Rules for Building Your Body:
"3. Diet When You Need It

Going on a diet has gotten a bad rap. That's probably because there have been some horrendous diets over the years...

"You shouldn't diet. You should make lifestyle changes," they say.

Here's the way I look at it. When you get the body you want, you should then follow a sound nutritional plan to maintain your leanness... But losing a lot of fat quickly demands an approach to eating that can't be maintained throughout your life.

A diet is what you go on when you need to make significant body composition changes in a short amount of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment