Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Naval Academy- This is Home."

Must be feeling kind of nostalgic this morning, as this was pretty cool.

montage of Navy photos set to switchfoot's "this is home"


The irony, of course, and not lost on me at all, is that while I was the Academy, it felt pretty far from "home." But then, most places did. And while "where you're from" doesn't change, I did stop thinking of Jacksonville - where I grew up - as "home" pretty much from the time I left for college. The added bit, obviously, is that the military mindset/culture treats "where you're stationed" as far different than "your home." It took me a few years to come to my own conclusion that "home," like most things, is only a state of mind, and that "home" really is wherever it is you're at. If you can't be at home wherever you are, what you feel for some other place is just a finely tuned sense of longing and nostalgia for someplace and something that probably never was quite what you think it may have been.

Still, good video. Tugs at all the right heart strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment