Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Sunday's trip to the K-1 World Grand Prix 2008 in Fukuoka - Japan.


On Sunday, K-1 came to Fukuoka. As it usually stays up in the Tokyo/Osaka region, and this is most likely my last year [okay, entering into my last year] in Japan, I figured I'd take advantage and go check it out - dragging along the Mrs and a fellow MMA/K-1 fan/ALT Jon.

Some decent fights, particularly the Hari fight, and the Aerts fight, and the Schilt-Lebanner matchup. Only 3 of the 10 fights had KOs/TKOs though, so it wasn't, you know, the greatest night of fights of all time, but I dug it and had a good time.


Jon and I goofing around out front of the arena.



When they were doing fighter intros we still hadn't gotten to our seats, which worked out kinda cool, as the fighter Jerome LeBanner was introduced about 20ft in front of us.

The only two words that apply are "huge motherfucker." The pics don't do him justice, as he looked just massive. [Official stats - 6'3", 265lbs] That day was the only day I've lived in Japan where I pretty much felt tiny the whole day. Lotsa big dudes walking around.



And here we go...


Peter Aerts vs Jan Nortje.



You can see in the pic above that the arena was pretty far from sold out - probably why K-1 only ventures south to Kyushu once every other year or so. But they get most of their revenue from their TV contract, not their gate, so... who knows?


Obligatory outing big face pic.



Jon reacts with surprise/disgust/confusion at my tasty and enjoyable milk-coffee beverage. But honestly, Japanese arena food kinda sucked. Vending machines and microwavables. Not that good.


I dug the lighting in the pic above.


Current K-1 Super Heavy Champion Semmy Schilt vs Jerome LeBanner.

LeBanner, the outrageously huge dude I talked about upthread? Yeah, he's the tiny little guy on the right in the pic below. [Semmy Schilt is 6'll", 300lbs - ridiculous!]



Like I said, probably the only K-1 event I'll get the chance to see live, so I went full-on tourist mode, complete with souvenir-y goodness.

Hey, why not?


Couple more pics here:
2008-06-29

No comments:

Post a Comment