Saturday, January 19, 2008

"You should have let me die."

I have no idea why this popped into my head, but the whole "You should have let me die" quote came to me, and thanks to the majesty and wonder of Google I was able to figure out where it came from. The Jeffesons wasn't the greatest show ever, but I sure as hell remember this ep.


Sermon: Kingdom Neighbors:
"How many of you all have ever seen the Jefferson's? I know now it is on cable. It used to come on on Sunday nights and I would watch. There is one episode that I remember that George, the main character, who is black and short and very loud and obnoxious. George finds some flyers that say 'come and come to our meeting. We have got a community meeting and we are going to talk about how we are going to clean up our building.' And, so George gathers his neighbors and they go down to this meeting. But what George does not realize is this is really a Ku Klux Klan rally. It was just disguised. And, so George goes to the meeting and sits in the front row. And the leader is looking at him as if to say, "What in the world are you doing here?" But, he goes on with the meeting and he says, "We have got to rid our building of this riffraff." George says, "That's right we got to do it." The man looks at him and keeps on going. He said, "These people are driving down our property values. It is not a safe place for our families to live anymore." George stands up, "That's right. I am with you brother." And the guy looks at George and says, "I am talking about you." And George, George is a hothead. He takes off his coat and he is ready to fight. And then the guy does an interesting thing. He begins to grab his arm and then he collapses on the floor and his assistant says he has a heart condition and he needs somebody to give him CPR or he is going to die right here on this floor. And, so he asked if there was anybody in the room that knows CPR. And everybody looks around. Nobody's hand goes up. Finally, one hand starts to go up. Guess who knows CPR? George. And so George gets down and gives mouth to mouth resuscitation to the Klan leader and saves his life. And then as they are wheeling the man out of the room, he comes to and asks his assistant what happened. The assistant tells him he had a heart attack. Someone came and gave you mouth-to-mouth and saved your life and it was him and he points to George. And the leader looks and says, "It was him? He saved my life? You should have let me die." And they wheel him out of the room. And the episode ends with all of the people becoming disgusted with this organization and walking out because of what happened."

3 comments:

  1. I remember it and have been looking for it. It was to much for them it shocked me and at the time I was not as stable minded lets say as I am now. But it helped make me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember it well. a formative moment for me. hit like a punch in the gut. anyone know what season /episode that was in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like this one S7E14 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0614956/

      Delete