Thursday, March 01, 2007

The monthly reading list for Feb 07

Lots of cotton candy for the mind this month...

Kitchen Table Talk (新書): Anything and Everything Essays on America and Japan by Kay Hetherly. Student of Sandy's let her borrow it... some interesting, some banal observations on life in Japan, and being a foreigner here. Quick, interesting read.

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore. Hilarious comedy writing about West Coast Vampires. The same author who wrote Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, which is phenomenally funny.

The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero by William Kalush and Larry Sloman. Great Houdini bio. Interested in him since I was a kid. I even learned how to do some magic when I was a lot younger, and made my dad sit through a "magic show" once. I did have a handcuff and chain escape though. Thanks Johnson Smith Catalog!

Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
by Various Authors. Gift from a friend, and classic tales of the Bat throughout the ages. The O'Neil/Adams 70's stories are always a good read.

Dc Super Heroes Super Healthy Cookbook by Mark Saltzman, Judy Garlan, Michele Grodner (Author). A 1990 reprint of an early 80's book is filled with that era's licensed Superfriends-esque art. Awesome trip down nostalgia lane with some cool recipes to boot.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) by Jim Butcher. Saw the series based off the novels on SciFi, so I thought I'd pick up the books, at least the first one. Think Philip Marlowe/Raymond Chandler. With magic. Very cool.

Wisdom of the Peaceful Warrior: A Companion to the Book That Changes Lives
by Dan Millman. Love Millman's work. Probably the first or second most influential writer on my outlook. RA Wilson's is probably more insightful to me now, but I've been reading Millman since high school, and his practicality mixed with spirituality always is enlightening and helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment