Saturday, August 20, 2005

I missed Japlish...


"Japlish" [or "Engrish"] being, for those of you who don't know, just the weird convoluted manglings of English that you see on billboards, clothing and everything else here in Japan. Resulting, usually, from the uber-literal translation of whatever they're trying to say.

I'll never forget the pre-teen I saw last time I was here wearing the tennis shoes that said "Bitch" in big bold letters...

And I don't intend to make "Wow, look at those wacky Japanese mess up English!" posts, cause that's just ignorant.

Besides which, the sheer number of goofball westerners with Kanji on their body that they think means "Brave Samurai" when it actually says something like "Gecko Restaurant" is more than enough to prevent a superior attitude.

[Check out hanzismatter.com for the briefest sampling of screwed up tatts.]

But this, this is poetry.

"Zero Halliburton"

Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment