Monday, May 26, 2008

Today I broke a student.

Well, okay, I didn't break him, but I bent him pretty good. Sent him for an unscheduled dental visit, I did.

In the words of Adrian Monk, "Here's what happened..."

So, elementary school today. And one thing I do [critical heads would say it's the only thing I do, but those people suck] is roughouse with the chirren'. Faux Judo, Sumo, Puroresu [pro-wrestling], K1, plus the occasional spinning around and throwing in the air. So there I am defending against the onslaught of no less than 3 attacking munchkins, when one of the kids trying to execute a tackle gets his legs tangled up with another one of the kids. He starts to go ass over tea kettle, but instead, unlucky kid, he face plants into my knee. Hard. With kind of a sick, cracking sound. I could've sworn he broke his nose or knocked some teeth out, but thank Buddha he didn't. Tears and some blood ensued, but nothing as bad as I imagined in the minute my heart stopped before we got him to the nurses' office.

And they ran him out for the dentist checkup, and he came back smiling before lunch, albeit with some slight bandage on one of his teeth. [Which I was told was because one of the teeth was a little loose, but would be okay.] And while I was worried, the other teacher were like "Eh... kodomo... shoganai." [Kids? What can you do?] Never let it be said they're raising weak kids here in Japan. Least I could do was over up a whole sheet of stickers to the lad as recompense. I mean, it wasn't really my fault. It's not like I punched him in the eye or anything... but I was raised Catholic, so I still do guilt quite a lot.

So, let's see... in the last week -
* I was double billed for an internet purchase [still being resolved] which nearly led me to bouncing a check.

* I was bitten by some insane insect/spider, had my eyebrow swell up the the size of a golfball, missed work, went to the hospital 3x and had [really minor] surgery.

* Had my hard drive crash and my computer die, losing a crapload of pics, ebooks, music and some video.

* Sent an elementary school 3rd grader in for an emergency dental visit.

You know, I'm thinking I'm due a run of good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment