Sunday, April 13, 2014

"How'd you make it this far in life?"

  


"I am a 47-year-old African-American male, with one child, a few small businesses and have been married for twelve years to a wonderful wife—all the things a man could hope for in a life. Did I mention that my wife recently told me that I have been in an “open marriage” for three years? Open marriage, as in, you date who you want and I date who I want, but let’s just keep it on a “Don’t ask, Don’t tell” basis. The only problem is that I was never apprised of the new, now 3-year-old, status of our marital arrangement. How did I just recently find out that I was in an open relationship you ask? Well my wife told me so...

...Twelve years of marriage, five years of courtship. I did all of the above and what is the glorious reward? “I thought we were both doing it.” “We did talk about flirting with other people.” “I just need some space.” “I just want to express love and freedom as I see fit.” “You’d be surprised how many other women are doing it.”

...This freedom applies as long as she doesn’t find out any sordid relationship details, because of course, she still is a bit jealous and doesn’t want to get hurt. But nothing in our family life needs to change other than that. Really? I ask, “What about diseases”? She says, ”Condoms.” What about curfews? “Oh, we’ll respect each others’ time.” What about friends seeing each other out with new partners? “I haven’t really thought about that.” What about me spending money on other women? “Well, I haven’t thought about that.” I ask, “After three years of hiding and creeping and deceiving, you haven’t thought about how that all works out on my side?” She says, “Nope.”"




No comments:

Post a Comment