Sunday, November 29, 2009

Awesome educational story.

Click over for the details even if it sounds slightly interesting to you.

My Favorite Liar | Zen Moments:
"What made Dr. K memorable was a gimmick he employed that began with his introduction at the beginning of his first class:

“Now I know some of you have already heard of me, but for the benefit of those who are unfamiliar, let me explain how I teach. Between today until the class right before finals, it is my intention to work into each of my lectures … one lie. Your job, as students, among other things, is to try and catch me in the Lie of the Day.”

And thus began our ten-week course.

...And while my knowledge of the Economics of Capital Markets has faded in time, the lessons that stayed with me were his real legacy:

* “Experts” can be wrong, and say things that sound right – so build a habit of evaluating new information and check it against things you already accept as fact.
* If you see something wrong, take the initiative to flag it as misinformation.
* A sense of playfulness is the best defense against taking yourself too seriously.""

No comments:

Post a Comment