Thursday, June 11, 2009

Talking with the animals - "Lion Whisperer" and animal behaviorist Kevin Richardson.

Way cool.

Lion King Kevin Richardson Treated Like One Of The Pride By The Big Cats At His South Africa Reserve | World News | Sky News:

"Kevin, 34, met his first lion 11 years ago and was hooked.

"There were two cubs born in captivity, and I got the opportunity to spend some time with them, never guessing that it would change my life."

Those two lions are adults now, part of a pride of 38 that has been raised at Kevin's vast private reserve near Johannesburg.

...Through the years he has developed a remarkable, if sometimes hair-raising, relationship with all of them as an animal behaviourist.

"Some people might say I'm interfering with nature," he said. "But these lions were born in captivity and I'm trying to give them the best life possible. They seem to thrive on the human interaction."

...His lions are not tame, with lots of space to roam they have retained plenty of their wild instincts and we were not allowed to interact with any of them for our own safety.

Kevin is the only human they have accepted, and he is aware that one day that could change.

"I know they could kill me in a second," he said. "But that doesn't bother me. If I came back to life, I would do it all again.""




Hat tip Free the Animal: Animals

No comments:

Post a Comment