Friday, March 20, 2009

"If I'm wrong about that..."

Great TED vid via Mike, from Mike Rowe of the Discovery Channel's Dirty Jobs.

I particularly liked the point of questioning assumptions, key in, well, everything.

Worth watching, just to hear the phrase "testicles on my chin."

Towards the end, it gets a little to Puritan/"work will make you free" for my tastes, but it's still quite good...

'Mike Rowe, the host of "Dirty Jobs," tells some compelling (and horrifying) real-life job stories. Listen for his insights and observations about the nature of hard work, and how it’s been unjustifiably degraded in society today.'

"Watch where everybody is going, and go the other way... safety is waaaaaaay overrated - the business of getting it done comes first."


And now, with a counterpoint to the notion of "hard work" I give you the brilliant Doug Stanhope.

"Work 5 days to enjoy 2? I don't know if you gamble, but thems shit odds....

That blue collar mentality - "We're a hard working people!"
But do you enjoy it?
"Fucking hate every second of my life..."

And if you're the guy who finds some way out of the grind they vilify him.
"Never done a hard day's work in his life..."
Learn from him!"

No comments:

Post a Comment