Saturday, March 14, 2009

Graduation '09.

End of the school year, always that same mixture of celebration and sadness. Pretty good group of kids this year, despite 3 or 4 yanki kids I won't really miss that much.
From 2009-03-13

From 2009-03-13

One of the new graduates/young ladies went all rogue and wore [gasp!] pierced earrings to graduation, cleverly hidden by her hair. I noticed and was her complicit accessory in keeping it a secret. I support these small acts of innocuous rebellion. Cause it's cute. [I may not be the best teacher. :)]
From 2009-03-13

I'll spare you all the 70 or so pictures of me and my students flashing the peace sign and just put up some of the best pics.

[All the pics are here though - I expect Sandy and those who really love me to check them out! HA! Guilt! Good stuff.]
2009-03-13
But some of the better pics of the day...
From 2009-03-13

The kawaii-ness of Japanese schoolgirls can never be defeated.
From 2009-03-13

From 2009-03-13

This group of kids all live in my neighborhood. While my address is/was Araji, I apparently live in the Gotanda area of city, so these girls rallied "Everybody from Gotanda take a picture!" Which included me. Which was awesome. But then I asked them all "Hey, but didn't our address just change?" [City zoning or somesuch] "Aren't we Tsuyazaki 7-chome now?" They were great... "Yes! Tsuyazaki 7-chome! Yay!"
From 2009-03-13

The girl just to my left/your right is actually my neighbor who lives right behind me. In the summer, with the kitchen window open, she's forever yelling when she sees me, asking me what I'm doing/making to eat. Good kid...

The 62nd graduating ceremony...
From 2009-03-13

This year's musical goodbye/thanks from the students... You know, unfailingly, the girls always start breaking down and crying, but this was the first year I can recall some of the boys breaking down too. It was cute.
From 2009-03-13

I'll admit it, I got a little choked up too. Gonna miss some of this kids. But I blame my emotional rollercoaster of the last 2 weeks.

This kid was a trip. Full on class clown. But a good kid.
From 2009-03-13

The homeroom teachers get choked up too. They actually become surrogate parents in a lot of ways. It's really kind of adorable.
From 2009-03-13

From 2009-03-13

Looking on with pride as the kids say their final homeroom goodbyes. Plus, the kimonos rock.
From 2009-03-13

From 2009-03-13

The Principal decked out in full on formal tails. Plus one of the nicest teachers who's retiring this year.
From 2009-03-13

From 2009-03-13

One of my favorite students this past year. Smart, sweet, good natured... gonna go far, I think. Just a great kid. [Please ignore my crazy eyes. At this point I had taken a lot of pictures.]
From 2009-03-13

The kids on their final walk out of the school.
From 2009-03-13

And to wrap it up, the video I took of one of the musical thank you/goodbyes... I can't follow the lyrics, because I am sad and my Japanese sucks, but you can feeeel it... youknowhatImsayin'?

1 comment: