Sunday, October 26, 2008

3-6.

Last Saturday eve in celebration[?], the Mrs took me out for the finest steak dinner I think I've ever had.

Yes, we were provided bibs.
From 2008-10-18

The steak was served on still sizzling plates, so there was actually some spatter.

Restaurant HYPO, across town. As you can see, the placemat includes MEAT and BEER, meaning all is well with the world.
From 2008-10-18

Ham carpaccio appetizer. [The only reason I even know the word carpaccio is because of too many obsessional Iron Chef America viewings.]
From 2008-10-18

Corn soup. [I just like this pic.]
From 2008-10-18

Sandy sacrificed, as HYPO served neither chicken nor fish, effectively quashing her dining options. So she enjoyed soup, double portions of salad, and thanks to the stop at the supermarket on the way home, karaage.
From 2008-10-18

Steak served still sizzling.
From 2008-10-18

Here you can see our food swap, Sandy having gotten my portions of salad, and me doubling up on beef. [You know, I still don't know how to wrap my mind around two years of vegetarianism somehow transitioning to double portions of steak. Cognitive dissonance is a bitch.]
From 2008-10-18

In this pic, near, you can see the remains of Sandy's sirloin set, which was delicious. However, closer to me in the pic, is the wagyu beef remaining from my set, which was, hands down, the best piece of steak I've ever tasted. You don't bite into wagyu, your teeth come together as the meat melts into separate sections. Well, not really. But damn close.
From 2008-10-18

Wagyu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Wagyu (和牛, wagyū?) refers to several breeds of cattle genetically predisposed to intense marbling and to producing a high percentage of oleaginous unsaturated fat. The meat from wagyu cattle is known worldwide for its marbling characteristics, increased eating quality through a naturally enhanced flavor, tenderness and juiciness, and thus a high market value. Several areas in Japan are famous for the quality of their Wagyu cattle, and ship beef bearing their areas' names. Some examples are Kobe, Mishima and Ohmi beef."

A friend actually works as a waitress at the restaurant, and she hooked us up with this tasty bit of chocolatey goodness.
From 2008-10-18

A good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment