Monday, September 01, 2008

I will absolutely give that an "Amen."

Joss Whedon - Celebrity Atheist List:
"In a Q&A-session while promoting his movie Serenity, Whedon was asked: 'What do you have against being a Christian?' He answered:

I don't actually have anything against anybody, unless their belief precludes everybody else's. I am an atheist and an absurdist and have been for many, many years... I think faith is an extraordinary thing. I'd like to have some, but I don't and that's just how that works... There's one other thing I would mention, which is from Angel actually: One of the few times I really got to sort of say exactly what I think about the world was in the second season of Angel, episode 16 ["Epiphany"] when he'd gone all dark, because he does that... he'd been told: "The world is meaningless, nothing matters." And he said: "Well then, this is my statement: Nothing matters, so only thing that matters is what we do." Which is what I believe: I believe the only reality is how we treat each other. The morality comes from the absence of any grander scheme, not from the precense of any grander scheme. [...] So the answer is: "Nothing, unless you've got something against me."

No comments:

Post a Comment