Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hootie sings country now.

Okay, not really "Hootie" per se, but Darius Rucker, the former frontman for Hootie and the Blowfish [which I always thought kinda rocked, in an "ultimate bar band" kinda way - and if you listened to the radio or went out at all in the mid to late 90s, you probably heard 'em too] has made the move to singing country music.

Darius Rucker - Learn to Live - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Learn to Live is the second solo album by American musician Darius Rucker, who is both the lead vocalist of the rock band Hootie & The Blowfish and a solo artist. His first album of country music, the album was released by Capitol Nashville on September 16, 2008... Its lead-off single, 'Don't Think I Don't Think About It', has reached Top 5 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, and has become the highest-charting country single by an African American artist since 1988."

That artist in 1988, btw - Charley Pride. Why I know that, I don't know. But I always dug Charley Pride. You know, I think this is kinda cool, actually. Country music, I've thought, has always been "white man's blues" music... and since separating things out by race is stupid, it's really just a lot of goofy "that's the way it is" nonsense. But there's always been folks like Ray Charles, Charley Pride, and now Darius Rucker, who sing some country... And that's pretty awesome.

His first single - "Don't Think I Don't Think About It"



I'm digging that. I may have to pick up his CD.

No comments:

Post a Comment