Thursday, August 07, 2008

Thailand - Wat Pho Temple.

Sandy loves her some temples and shrines, no matter what country she's in.

Wat Pho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
"Wat Pho (Thai: วัดโพธิ์), also known as Wat Phra Chetuphon วัดพระเชตุพน) or The Temple of the Reclining Buddha, is a Buddhist temple in Phra Nakhon district, Bangkok, Thailand, located in the Rattanakosin district directly adjacent to the Grand Palace. Its official full name is Wat Phra Chetuphon Vimolmangklararm Rajwaramahaviharn (Thai: วัดพระเชตุพนวิมลมังคลาราม ราชวรมหาวิหาร).

...Wat Pho is the one of the largest and oldest wat in Bangkok (with an area of 50 rai, 80,000 square metres), and is home to more than one thousand Buddha images, as well as one of the largest single Buddha images: the Reclining Buddha (Phra Buddhasaiyas, Thai พระพุทธไสยาสน์). Made as part of Rama III's restoration, the Reclining Buddha is forty-six metres long and fifteen metres high, decorated with gold plating on his body and mother of pearl on his eyes and the soles of his feet. The latter display 108 auspicious scenes in Chinese and Indian styles."




That is a big Buddha head.


And some big Buddha feet.

The prints on the soles is a nice touch, I thought.


Dropping coins in the bowls signifies... umm... I don't know. I was just following Sandy. And when I asked her, she didn't know either. Tourist sheep, that's us.


Cindi has no coins. She's faking it.







The tourist books said for the temples and the palace you should have long pants and closed toe shoes. Since I only brought my flip flops, I picked up a six buck pair of kung fu shoes. Predictably, I saw lots of sandals and shorts throughout the day.





The ladies are goofballs.

I dig the yogic poses.




No comments:

Post a Comment